According to California’s 2008 Waste Characterization Study, carpet is one of the top 10 most prevalent materials disposed of in California. It is bulky and difficult to manage, and has the fourth largest greenhouse gas footprint of any product waste in California. Every year 4 billion pounds of carpet are discarded in the U.S. and only about 1 percent is recycled.
Carpet Stewardship – The First in the World
In 2010, CPSC worked with carpet manufacturers, recyclers, the Carpet America Recovery Effort (CARE), and Assembly Speaker John Perez to pass product stewardship legislation to support the recycling of waste carpet. The result was AB 2398, which created new manufacturing jobs in California. The number of carpet recyclers in California increased from two to sixteen, reducing the need to put carpet in landfills. In Southern California, around 36 percent of carpet is now collected for recycling. However, CARE has not been making significant progress to increase recycling and CalRecycle has submitted an accusation and a possible fine of over $3 million for failure to meet the legislated standard of continuous and meaningful improvement.
Carpet America Recovery Effort (CARE)
CARE is a joint industry-government effort to increase the amount of recycling and reuse of post-consumer carpet. CARE administers the California Carpet Stewardship Program, which is charged with meeting the requirements for carpet recycling set by AB 2398 and managed by CalRecycle. CARE works to advance market-based solutions that increase landfill diversion and recycling of post-consumer carpet, encourage design for recyclability and meet meaningful goals.
Articles & Press
- Global Alliance for Incinerator Alternatives (GAIA) Press Release – California Carpet Controversy: CalRecycle Hearing Tomorrow to Examine Carpet Industry Accountability, 4/17/17
- CARE Launches California Council on Carpet Recycling: 18-Member Advisory Group to Give Voice to Diverse Stakeholders – CARE Press Release, 2/11/16
- CARE Releases RFP to Boost Recycling of Pet Carpet – CDR Staff, Recycling Today, 6/5/13
- Shaw Industries Receives CPSC Golden Arrow Award – CPSC Press Release, 8/8/2012
- Consumers Key to Success of New California Carpet Recycling Law – CleanFax.com, 6/7/2011
- Global Alliance for Incinerator Alternatives (GAIA) Report – The CAREless Carpet Industry: A Critique of the California Carpet Stewardship Program’s Reliance on Incineration, April 2017
- Carpet Recycling Survey Results – King County, 5/17/2011
- Environmental Impact of Carpet Discards – Dr. Jeffrey Morris, Seattle Public Utilities, 4/26/2010