2017 Arrow Award Winners
2017 California Stewardship Arrow Award Winners
Custom-designed awards made of recycled materials by Bay Area artist Ellen Blakeley were presented at CPSC’s Arrow Awards ceremony on Tuesday, August 22, 2017 at the California Resource Recovery Association Annual Conference and Tradeshow at the Paradise Point Resort & Spa in San Diego, CA. The event attracts 700 local and state government representatives, state legislators, and industry representatives annually.
Golden Arrow Award for Overall Excellence in Product Stewardship
Labcon is the recipient of the 2017 Golden Arrow Award for Overall Excellence in Product Stewardship. Here are just a few reasons why they received this award:
- Labcon is a company that produces labware consumables. They supply more than 1000 products to labs all over the world, make more than a billion products every year and employ about 200 people in the Bay Area.
- Out of concern of the many disposable products labs use (because of contamination issues) in 1995 Labcon began to develop innovative products, incorporated concepts of “eco-efficiency” using less packaging, recycled plastics, and refillable packages.
- Just one example, Labcon has been able to keep the equivalent of 11 Olympic swimming pools of Styrofoam from entering landfills.
- They are redesigning lab products to make them reusable, for example Eclipse, their pippet tip reloading systems 60% reusable and reducing the packaging needed as well.
- 873 kWs of rooftop solar produces 33% of their electricity needs, and has committed to having 100% solar power by 2020. Furthermore, they changed their production systems to reduce their water usage.
Green Arrow Award for System Design and Innovation
Smart Planet Technologies is the recipient of the 2017 Green Arrow Award for System & Design Innovations. Here are some facts about their product called reCUP:
- Most paper cups cannot be recycled because of plastic coatings that are used.
- Smart Planet Technology has redesigned the cup coating (called Earth Coating) to reduce plastic use by 51% compared to traditional poly-coated cups and is engineered for recycling.
- reCups can be run on existing paper cup converting equipment and provide significant environmental, economic and performance benefits compared to traditional paper cups!
- Smart Planet Technologies licenses their technology to interested parties to serve the greater good.
- All this leads to green design, reduction in toxics, reduction of land filling, and leads the cup industry into a new era of zero waste!
Bow & Arrow Award for Coalition Building
Planet Recycling, Inc. is the recipient of the 2017 Bow & Arrow Award for Coalition Building. With an office in Chula Vista and being in carpet recycling for 50 years, their motto is “Recycling Your World, Saving Our Planet One Yard at a Time!” Here are a few reasons why they are the recipient of this award:
- They have partnered with 2 landfills in San Diego to reuse and recycle carpet returning it to manufacturers or remanufacturers. And they partner with Habitat for Humanity’s Restore to supply carpet to support their cause.
- They educate their consumers who are retailers, installers, home owners, city agencies and contractors.
- They basically epitomize the ideal of working with all stake holders to get the job done to reuse and recycle pads and carpet.
Infinity Arrow Award for Service and Take-Back
Walgreens is the recipient of the 2017 Infinity Arrow Award for Service and Take-Back for their efforts to keep unwanted or unused medicines out of communities and the environment. Here are a few reasons why:
- Walgreens is the first major chain to not just host pharmaceutical take back bins but they also fund the program and educate people to bring medicines back for proper disposal!
- Currently they are 53 bins in Walgreens across California and over 600 in 45 states and Washington DC.
- And they have collected over 72 tons of medicaions.
- Walgreens serves as a model for other major retailers.